Photo: Governor Ahmed Aliyu
From A.I, Sokoto
The evacuation of a mountain of embarrassment in the Sokoto state’s metropolis, constituted by four-year-old refuse, has elicited jubilation among the residents on Tuesday.
The refuse had taken over the greater part of the racecourse, which was renamed Kangiwa square.
Our reporter learned that over 200 truckloads of refuse left the site as at the time of filing this report.
Governor Ahmed Aliyu, who personally monitored the evacuation, regretted how refuse bunkers were converted to business premises in the area.
He described the development as embarrassing, noting that leaving solid waste to accumulate for four years without taking necessary action was tantamount to playing with the lives of the citizenry.
“Because it can trigger outbreaks of communicable diseases,” he said.
“I promise you that all the refuse dump sites converted to shops would be recovered and put to proper use.
“Because our government would not condone flagrant abuse of environmental law and unnecessary distortion of the Sokoto master plan.
Earlier, a member of the task force on refuse evacuation, Muhammadu Toro, told the Governor that over 200 truckloads of refuse had already left the site.
He stated that they made 1,580 trips from across the state’s metropolis since the commencement of the exercise on June 12.